Improving your web push notifications can boost conversion rates and help solve the issue of cart abandonment by e-commerce customers.
Cart abandonment is one of the most common problems faced by the e-commerce industry. All the money that is spent in acquiring a customer goes to drain when the customer abandons their cart.
According to SalesCyle, the average cart abandonment ranges from 69% to 81%, which is a huge loss for e-commerce companies. With cart abandonment push notifications, you can retarget customers who failed to make a purchase.
When it comes to engaging users who've already shown interest in your products, web push notifications are extremely effective. As they direct the user to the checkout page, they act as a direct conversion channel. Additionally, with the right offers, visuals and copy, you can convert a passive lead into an active shopper, thus acting as a conversion catalyst in the overall sales funnel.
Here are the six ways you could utilize web push notifications to increase your e-commerce conversions by as much as 10%.
Re-engage with cart abandoners and browse abandoners
Cart abandonment push notifications
Due to numerous reasons, users add products to their cart but do not complete the purchase. Push notifications can be used to re-engage with these cart abandoners and encourage them to complete the purchase.
When to send cart abandonment push notifications?
- The user adds the product to the cart and leaves.
- The user proceeds to check out but does not complete the purchase.
- Fifteen minutes elapse after the product has been added to the cart.
Your cart recovery push notification should include images of the product, a personalized message, a CTA linking to the checkout page and an offer compelling the user to purchase.
BollywoodKart observed a 15% rise in the revenue after using cart abandonment push notifications.
Browse abandonment push notifications
Often, customers search for products but never buy them. Tap into this customer behavior by sending browse abandonment push notifications.
When to send browse abandonment push notifications?
- The user has gone through the product page.
- They did not add the product to the cart.
- No purchase was recorded, and the user left the page.
Your browse abandonment push notification should include an image of the recently searched product with a link to that page. Chances are, if the customers see the same product again after some time, they may be tempted to buy the product. Many customers do not make the purchase on the first visit and need multiple reminders to complete the action.
Auto notifications to keep the user engaged
Keep the users engaged with push notifications sent at regular intervals. Automate your push notification strategy to let the user know about the new products launched by the e-commerce store.
You could collect details such as the birth-dates and anniversary-dates and leverage them to send occasion-based push notifications. Wish the user well on their special day and during the holiday season with specialized discounts. Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Valentine’s Day, Easter, St. Patrick’s Day and local holidays can be used to send special discounts, thereby giving the customer an excuse to shop.
Send triggered notifications based on user action
Behavioral push notifications triggered after the user takes a specific action work wonders to increase conversions. It makes the message more relevant for the recipients, thereby making them more inclined to make the purchase.
For example: If a customer has purchased a blue gown from your e-commerce store, you can send a push notification promoting matching stilettos or stud earrings to go with it. It would surely entice the customer to buy those products too and help you cross-sell.
Use the right copy for the user to click on your offer
The character limit for push notifications for multiple browsers is:
- Title text limit: 50 for Chrome desktop, 40 for Safari and 30 for Firefox
- Body text limit: 120 for Chrome desktop, 100 for Safari and 30 for Firefox
The copy becomes much more important since your message has to be precise and should retain its effectiveness. People will only click on the notification if the copy provides value to them.
Three tips to help you improve you advertising copy are:
- Clear messages have a higher click-through rate, as they are action based. For example: "Have you read John Grisham’s latest novel" vs. "John Grisham’s latest novel is available for purchase." The latter has a clearer message.
- Your copy should be concise because the character limit of push notification ranges from 40-120 characters. Identify and highlight the most important value proposition in your copy.
- Humans tend to be more motivated by the idea of potential loss than potential gain. As an implication, creating a sense of urgency and arousing the FOMO (Fear of Missing Out) is a great strategy while drafting push notifications. Highlight a limited time offer to inspire the user to make the purchase immediately.
Remember, with information being accessible at the fingertips, write credible copy without going overboard with your claims.
Segmenting your subscribers
A study by PushEngage found the click-through rate to increase up to 218% using segmentation in web push notifications.
Different users subscribe to your website for multiple reasons. Instead of putting them under the same bucket of a marketing campaign, segment them. You can segment them based on parameters such as geo-location of the customers, their online behavior and preferences, their past purchases and products searched for. A secondary level of segmentation can happen based on:
- Website design – Different people would subscribe to your push notifications from different pages. Segmenting them according to the page where they subscribed from gives you a better understanding of the category your user is interested in. For instance, if a user subscribes to the push notification from the "Jewelry" category of your e-commerce store, you can send them exclusive notifications about jewelry.
- Customer action – You can create multiple segments for users who've abandoned the cart while shopping or browsed the products without purchasing them. Then on, you could run drip campaigns for them using urgency and special offers.
- Customer status – If you have different pricing plans, you will know which plan has each user opted for. Using segmented campaigns, you could create different features of the higher plan for the user to upgrade.
Send tailor-made offers to every user so that it gives them a feeling of exclusivity and increases the conversion rate.
Timely push notifications increase the open rate
Push notifications should not intrude the privacy of your customer. From 8 a.m. to noon, 3 to 5 p.m. and 8 to 11 p.m. are the hours during which the users are most active. As a general practice, the best time to send the push notifications is from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m..
Schedule the messages considering your industry and business type. For instance, if you have an e-commerce store in the food industry, consider sending the notifications at the time of breakfast, lunch, supper or dinner.
The bottom line
Timely and relevant push notifications on your e-commerce website will increase the conversion rates. These six strategies will ensure your web push notifications are valuable, concise and visually appealing to your subscribers, thereby compelling them to take the intended action.
I have almost 10 years of experience in building SaaS product companies, e-commerce and lead generation companies in USA and India. My strengths include scalable product architecture, simple design, marketing, customer acquisition, growth hacks and analytics.